“Unity is a link in the great educational movement inaugurated by Jesus Christ; our objective is to discern the truth in Christianity and prove it. The truth that we teach is not new; neither do we claim special revelations or discovery of new religious principles. Our purpose is to help and teach mankind to use and prove the eternal Truth taught by the Master.”
Several years following their marriage, Myrtle and Charles Fillmore attended classes taught by a leader in New Thought theory. When they applied the ideas they learned to their own lives, each was astonished by rapid recovery from chronic illness and disability.
The place was Kansas City, Missouri in the late nineteenth century. The Fillmores became proponents of a new perspective which developed into the movement which they called Unity.
Within a few years they had dedicated themselves to this cause, publishing the periodicals Modern Thought and Unity and developing the prayer group known as “Silent Unity.”
A series of essays published in Unity by a homeopathic physician, Dr. H. Emilie Cady, were gathered together and published as a book, Lessons in Truth, which remains a core text on Unity thought to this day.
The other text of profound importance to Unity practitioners is the Bible, which the Fillmores read as allegory.
In 1919 Myrtle and Charles purchased a tract of land south-east of Kansas City. Originally used as a weekend and vacation retreat for their family and Unity employees, this bucolic spot was expanded over time to become Unity Village which is incorporated as a town and is today the spiritual headquarters of Unity.